In light of the 4th of July, I am sharing an easy recipe for shortbread cookies. I was inspired by The Barefoot Contessa’s Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies, but instead of chocolate, I am using blueberries and strawberries!
This recipe makes about 10 small cookies, but you can double the ingredients if you wish.
- 8.5 tbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 (and then a dash!) cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In the bowl mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined (use an electric mixer).
- Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour and salt. This is the trick to getting the texture correct.
- On a low speed, begin to add the flour and salt mixture to your wet ingredients.
- Once the dough comes together, place dough on a flour dusted surface and use your hands to push it into a rectangle shape.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a cookie cutter, cut out your cookies and add your berries to each cookie.
- Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the edges begin to brown then allow to cool to room temperature.